Saturday, March 21, 2009

Come and Get 'Em!

As I mentioned in an earlier entry, I am immersed in Stroller Strides Instructor Training this weekend. I am truly excited about all the pre- and post-natal exercise knowledge I am picking up but the intense days have meant that my sweet husband is left in charge of Thing 1 and Thing 2. Today they went “mountain biking” in Waveny (something I would have liked to have seen…) Anyway, anyone who knows me can be assured that the boys were well fed in my absence. Yesterday I whipped up a batch of our favorite “Protein Pancakes”, a Chicken Apple Sausage Frittata and a hearty Spanakopita for them to reheat for breakfasts and lunches, in addition to replenishing the supply of Trader Joe’s Pesto Pizza and organic carrots, apples (you’d think I was raising two horses, not boys) and whole milk.

For my friends who might like to make their own batch of Protein Pancakes heading into the week ahead, here are the details. Because this is akin to baking you need to stick to a recipe this go round:

“Protein Pancakes”
Makes about 30 small pancakes.

4 eggs
15 oz tub of ricotta cheese
2/3 cup of sour cream
(preferably the organic whole milk variety)
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur white whole wheat flour)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups organic whole milk
Liberal amount of vanilla (optional, though I think they are bland without it)
Liberal amount of cinnamon (optional, but again, we like this addition)
Zest of 1 lemon (optional again)
Butter*

Toppings: maple syrup (get the good stuff), vanilla yogurt & berries, sliced bananas, etc…

Heat a skillet (or griddle if you’ve got one… we don’t, I just use a big Green non-stick fry pan). Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with a hand mixer until well blended. I then use a ¼ cup measuring cup and drop batter onto the non-stick fry pan in batches. *If your pan isn’t non-stick then you’ll want to melt some butter beforehand to prevent sticking… Flip the pancakes when they start to bubble.

The beauty of these pancakes is that they are moist, not cake-y like Aunt Jemima’s. And, you can put them in your fridge in a sealed container and just heat what you’d like in the microwave throughout the week. In addition to making them for the boys while I am away this weekend, I often make these for Sunday breakfast and then parse them away for mornings before school. It’s a beautiful thing to have a healthy, homemade breakfast without any effort on a random Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment